This course is designed to introduce freshmen to the fundamental principles of research. Completion of the RFC enables students to engage in authentic STEM research and is a prerequisite/corequisite for enrollment in Research Driven Courses. SCI 1301 may be taken in lieu of UNIV 1301. RFCs are listed as SCI 1301 – Inquiry in Math and Science.
- Best practices in lab safety and recordkeeping
- Ethical conduct and responsible research
- Research of peer-reviewed literature to build a foundation for investigation
- Developing a research question and hypothesis
- Experimental design
- Data interpretation and display (graphical literacy)
- Writing for the science environment
Innovation in Classroom Approach
- Active learning approaches give students autonomy and confidence while developing problem-solving skills
- Greater access to mentoring as each class features two instructors and a peer facilitator
- Classes are held in the SCALE-UP Innovation Space using a hybrid approach that combines both face-to-face engagement, such as collaborative work and facilitated workshops, with online learning modules.