This course is designed to introduce freshmen to the fundamental principles of research. Completion of the RFC enables students to engage in authentic STEM research and is a prerequisite/corequisite for enrollment in Research Driven Courses SCI 1301 may be taken in lieu of UNIV 1301. RFCs are listed as SCI 1301 – Inquiry in Math and Science.
- Best practices in lab safety and recordkeeping
- Ethical conduct and responsible research
- Research of peer-reviewed literature to build a foundation for investigation
- Developing a research question and hypothesis
- Experimental design
- Data interpretation and display (graphical literacy)
- Writing for the science environment